Saturday, August 27, 2011

My first childhood memory in the first and third person perspective

FIRST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IN THE 1st PERSON PERSPECTIVE

My first childhood memory is none other than Alice Cooper. I’ve been raised on his music for as long as I can remember (insert “duh” here), and it’s shaped a lot of who I am today. I can recall sitting on my living room floor, my mom, dad, and sister all stretched out across the room as I intently watched the television. Alice Cooper was onstage, dressed in a glow in the dark tuxedo (complete with top hat), and he was dancing around with skeletons. For a child of such age as I was (around two or three) this should’ve been somewhat terrifying, if not at least a little disturbing. Instead I was entranced, wanting to be up on stage with Alice, wishing I could be dancing with the skeletons too. The lights onstage flickered off, and the ensemble had disappeared. Suddenly, everything was visible again and Mr. Cooper was strutting across the stage with such bravado that I immediately bowed down to this man’s presence. It didn’t stop there though. Vincent Price, spiders, and a skewed cast of monsters all took to the performance in some way or another, offering narrations, inciting fear into the main star, and crafting a physical dreamscape that no other individual has been able to mimic. In short, when I look back as far as I can into the heart of my memories; it’s almost too easy to see Alice Cooper’s mascara lined face grinning back at me… Welcoming me to his nightmare…

FIRST CHILDHOOD MEMORY IN THE 3rd PERSON PERSPECTIVE

The lights in the room were off, the only illumination being the soft glow of a television set flickering scenes unfit for a boy of age two. Surrounded by his closest of family members, no one came to the aid of the child, allowing his delicate mind to bear witness to images of violence and vulgarity. Nightmarish creatures and rhythmically possessed humans danced around a stage built atop the crazy delusions of a single man. This man assaulted dead bodies, wielded a sword, and even defeated a Cyclops with its own head, yet Michael couldn’t remove his gaze. The boy watched on as this man, a man with a woman’s name, fought poisonous spiders, mingled with skeletons, and paraded around unaffected by these atrocities… All while singing in a raspy key. Michael should’ve been terrified of this man, this Alice Cooper person, but there was not a single fiber in the boy’s being that once screamed for him to look away. Instead, Michael viewed the actions of Alice as an escape, as a way of spitting water into the face of life. It was from that moment on the little boy known as Michael ceased to be, and the little hellion who served in Alice Cooper’s monstrous legion came into fruition…

No comments:

Post a Comment