Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Morals of Morality

A few days ago a friend and I were having a conversation. Our topic of discussion (which comes up a lot between this friend and I) was why I wouldn't "hit that?", "hit that" being slang for having gratuitous amounts of sex with some chick. In a roundabout/back and forth fashion I told this friend that I couldn't do it because I wasn't that sort of guy, it went against my better judgment and how I felt as a person (laugh all you want, but Michael does have a sense of right and wrong). He laughed and brought up the ever-popular cliche', "Why play by the rules when all nice guys finish last?" Now I know I have my moments where I can be a decent human being, but normally I don't pride myself on my "niceness". When I brought this point up, however, it was quickly shot down as an argument, so I was forced to try a different approach. He asks me again, "what's the point of playing by the rules if all you're gonna get is life kicking you in the ass while everyone else is getting what they want?" After thinking about it for a few days, I finally have a valid (and obvious) response. If we don't follow our personal guidelines, our own morals, then what's the point of even establishing them in the first place? Yes, there will be times when we falter or bend the rules, yet it's important to stay true to one's self in the long run. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes, but if we start letting the negativity pour in, changing the very fabric of who we are, then we've missed the very point of life itself. To counter-attack a cliche' with another cliche', "it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." Life sucks, it's not always meant to be fun. I'm not gonna lie, this week has been shitty for me, today being the cherry on top, and there's nothing more I'd love to do right now than go have generously gratuitous amounts of "woo hoo" (a Sim reference, not mine) time, but that doesn't benefit me in the long run. Will this choice get me a gold medal in the Olympics of Life? Hell no. If anything, I'll be ridiculed and kicked out of the Man-Club. Such as life though, it's just not who I am (Oh how I'd love to talk to myself three years ago and hear the hysterical laughter "Past Me" would let loose).
In short, I guess I'm just venting due to lack of creativity and large amounts of boredom. I know life could be better, and it's always easier to look at things, wishing they were different (in this regard, actually having a girlfriend rather than just a person wanting a cheap fuck), but it could always be worse too. A lot of people overlook this prospect of the game called "Life" (real life, not the board game). Ok, so maybe nice guys finish last, but just remember there could be a guy "nicer" than you who's struggling a hundred times harder. Be happy with what you have, live life for "you", and don't be a tool of society's general machinations. K, rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment